As someone who spends hours, days, and even months on-foot, I am in constant proximity to and connection with a variety of blackbirds.

Here is a quick snapshot of 59 varieties (in the U.S.) and if you enjoy meditating to nature sounds, you might like my audio invitation, Resting with Red Winged Blackbirds. In February of 2024, Ben and I went for an early morning walk at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge in Denver. Hundreds of them surrounded us high in the trees, deep in the grasses, and around the icy edges of the pond. If you prefer only birdsong, you can fast forward past some of my intro/guidance and go right to listening.

Some of you might recognize the above art piece from October's InkTober (+ PVD2PTOWN) post. The prompt for the day was mustache. As soon as I finished the piece, I knew I wanted to deepen it and build scenery around it.

  • Do you see the nose, lips, and mustache?

  • What comes up for you as you peer into it?

  • Please share in the comments!

The 5x7 original (unframed) is still available and will be on its way to the gallery soon. Reach out if you're interested. You can also preorder prints here. Patrons, as always, you are the first to see new pen art and be sure to use your 25% discount code.

Thanks for being here,

Jonathon

PS: I'm hosting another Breathing & Centering session on Insight Timer next Monday at 7:30 am MT (details here) and my dear friend Lesley Gilbert with Sacred Spaces and I will be co-hosting another monthly Art Lounge next Thursday from 4:30-6:00 pm (details here).