The end of the year always stirs things up - shedding unwanted energy from 2025, resting under a star-filled solstice, navigating holiday heaviness (+ goodness), inviting new horizons for 2026. Wherever and however this season finds you, I do hope you can breathe in self-compassion and find time for unhurried movement. I spent a couple hours yesterday showing my father one of my favorite dirt paths along the Arkansas River near Hecla Junction (video above, photo below).
*If you can't watch the video, you can create an account here to become a free member with Intrinsic Paths on Patreon. This will also give you the ability to comment and connect!
Also. I'm wearing shorts on Dec 25th at 8,000 ft in Colorado. Please join me in taking action on climate change.
When Ben and I moved to Poncha Springs, we invited my father to move into our garage. In June, we worked with a local designer to finalize drawings. In August, we pulled ADU (accessory dwelling unit) permits and began working with a wonderful team of contractors. The space was completed just last week. He moved in three days ago.
We know there will be challenges. We know there are worlds of unknowns ahead. And. Proximity really does help - early morning check-ins, sharing meals, going for simple walks. This will also be his 67th move. I know my more nomadic tendencies come from him our shared lineage of wanderers. I also know how unique this all is, especially for my LGBTQIA2S+ family + peers. Living with or close to biological family can be terribly challenging and even impossible for many - having to leave half or all of who you are at the door.
My dad and I both carry strange energy with the holidays. In our own ways, we both feel disconnected from many of the traditions or expectations that come with it. Escaping (or returning) to nature is an easy choice for us.
We also share waves of unrest related to all the harm and injustice moving through the world. We saw this sticker in Colorado Springs just before loading up his moving truck. While I don't love the snake being choked, it was on point for us as a counter to the common "Don't Tread On Me" slogan. A position leaking with hypocrisy as it aims to take away women's rights, trans rights, immigrant rights, Palestinian rights, Sudanese rights, and climate/planet protections.
It reminded me of this art piece from earlier in the year:
"you own nothing... your small, miraculous life is nothing without me"
- perhaps, every Mother Tree, everywhere
An ode to what feels like a universal violation in believing that (A) the planet is solely for "our use" and (B) humans can and should own and control other people, animals, mountains, land, rivers, and trees.
In addition to my father moving in, I was helping to support a small dream of mine. For years, I have wanted to connect my beautiful sister, Tracy, with one of my dearest friends, Tomo, to co-host a volleyball clinic. As some of you know, my sister was a U.S. National Team volleyball player and now does private lessons in Colorado. Tomo was my beach volleyball partner for many years when I lived in Southern California and now coaches championship volleyball teams. His 13-year old twin daughters, Wanli and Shuli (pictured above with legs out) are top ranked nationally.
Tracy spent time in Japan and was trained under some of the best Japanese coaches and Tomo grew up playing on Japanese youth national teams. There was joy in my heart chasing balls and watching them run a training together last weekend.
Tomo invited several families (who he coaches) to join. We walked on beautiful mountain paths, climbed rocks, drank from the mineral springs in Manitou, and more.
Have you spent time on the newer paved trail along the Clear Creek just west of Golden (above)? It is such a beautiful, spacious, and restful route.
Finally, it has been a fun and affirming month on the pen art front. The image above is from my Featured Artist wall at Arts Collective Salida. It will be up for another five days. : ) Some of what's on this wall has been sold, but several remain. If you are interested in an original, please reach out with questions or call the gallery directly at (719) 677-8010. They can also handle shipping.
If you are interested in picking up a couple prints, greeting cards, or stickers during the month of December, feel free to use the 10% off code: DECINKARTLOVE in the online shop here. If you want to support my creative work going into 2026 as a Patron, you will get 25% discount code for prints and a few extra gifts for joining before the end of the year. More than anything, you make everything I do possible. Learn more.
If you are a past or current patron, thank you in every way.
Trying with you,
Jonathon
PS: I'll be hosting another Breathing & Centering gathering on Monday, Dec 29th at 7:30 am (here on Insight Timer). I'll also be co-hosting another monthly Art Lounge with Lesley Gilbert of Sacred Spaces on Thursday, Jan 8 at 4:30 pm (details here). I hope you can join us!
No comments:
Post a Comment